FreeDAM has some rules for uploading invoices and Credit notes.
- Only ‘Posted’ invoices and credit notes are able to be uploaded
- Once an invoice (or credit note) is uploaded you are not able to ‘un-post’ an invoice. A credit note must be issued.
- Invoices are uploaded as of the issuing date – the posting date is ignored.
- FreeDAM sets the Xero due date to the date of the first FreeDAM Account Finance Charge, the Discount Date or thirty days from the issue date.
Uploading invoices to Xero is a simple process – From the Xero screen…
- Click the ‘Upload Invoices and Credit Notes’ button.
- Click the ‘Edit’ button at the top of the screen.
- FreeDAM will display several working messages as it retrieves the data required from Xero.
At the top left of the screen you are able to see the last time FreeDAM was ‘synced’ (invoices were uploaded) with Xero.
This screen will display the invoices that are in FreeDAM that have not been uploaded to Xero in the pink list.
In this instance the first invoice in the pink list (a FreeDAM Invoice) is highlighted.
The details of this invoice are displayed in the top right of the screen in grey.
The action that you want FreeDAM to instruct Xero to do is displayed at the top right hand side in the ‘Xero Action’ area in grey.
- Insert a FreeDAM invoice into Xero as a new invoice with a new Xero contact
- Insert a FreeDAM invoice into Xero against an existing Xero contact
- Match a FreeDAM invoice with a Xero invoice
FreeDAM can recommend the action for Xero by comparing the invoices in FreEDAM and Xero.
Commonly you will be inserting FreeDAM invoices into Xero as the example above shows.
- Click the ‘Submit’ button to tell FreeDAM to take the Xero action requested.
The invoice to be uploaded will now be displayed in the centre yellow list with the total number of invoices and the combined value of those invoices to be uploaded displayed underneath.
Once you have all the invoices you wish to upload to Xero in the yellow list.
- Click the ‘Accept’ Button.
FreeDAM will display several working messages as it does the work for you and then a success message.
Now when you look in Xero you will find that the invoices are there waiting for approval (or already approved depending how you asked FreeDAM to upload them).
The following is a screen capture of the invoices listed in Xero.
If you look at an invoice that FreeDAM has uploaded – in Xero – you can see that all the line items have been inserted and the correct accounts allocated according to the mapping. See ‘Mapping FreeDAM Accounts to Xero Accounts’ above.